You know when you have arrived at the ‘eh’ stage of a season. You are unmotivated, you don’t care about much, and you would be happy just hiding away with ice cream and binge-watching your favorite shows. When you are in this cycle, how and why should you dream or have a vision for the next? It seems to be good enough, right?
Wrong! We are created to dream, to have a vision, to have a passion, and to hope.
We were not meant to sit in seclusion just getting by. Perhaps you struggled with ‘eh’ even before the last two years, but truth be told, Covid has made this so easy to settle into the rut for many. We may give up on the things we once held dear because we don’t see them happening anytime soon. However, even if our dreams may look different in this season, it is important to walk them out nonetheless.
Let us not confuse comfortable and cozy with pure lazy and depressed. When we are unmotivated and secure in hiding, there is a problem. The enemy comes to kill, steal, and destroy. If you are kept in seclusion and ‘eh’ mode, walking in depression, the enemy has won.
I know the fear and anxiety is real. I know depression is real, and I know the difficulty that it is to climb out and live. This is not an easy time in our lives, and so much is unsettled. I am all for support medically for our mental health as needed. I am also all about pulling up the bootstraps and getting to it.
Technology today truly does remind me of the movie ‘Wall-E’, where everyone is sitting in chairs with the food at the ready and their face in a screen, oblivious to what is going on around them. I am so guilty of walking in this myself. However, this isolation is a tactic of the enemy. It seems entertaining at the moment, but leaves us craving for more, and further disconnected from our dreams and passion.
To have life to the FULL we must walk in hope. Hope is to have a feeling of expectation.
Knowing that there IS a fullness of life. We have a call, with gifts, and desires. We are not meant to keep to ourselves, that which may inspire others.
Now that you are in the midst of “eh”, you might say, ” It is too hard to get started? It seems too much time has passed by.”
Let me give you some tips on how to dream in the midst of your “eh’. These very steps led me to live out my next. This is my strongest hope for you.
10 Steps to Reach Your Dream in the midst of ‘Eh’
- Write down your goals and dreams that you let go dormant. If you don’t want to look at those at this point, write down some new ones. What sparks you?
- Write down 3 manageable steps to move closer to those successes that you hope for. This could be research that needs to be done, people you need to contact, or actions you can take to build your gift.
- Research other people that have succeeded in your area of passion. Even just watching an art video will spark me to get my art supplies out.
- Get out of the house. A walk in the park, visiting nature, or serving in your community in some way does wonders for the soul.
- Recognize that there are failures and rejections in the process. We don’t always hit our dream the moment we visualize it. There is HARD work involved. Michael Jordan did not even make his high school basketball team, after being rejected he worked HARD. Often we give up thinking we failed or have no potential when in reality, we just need to work harder.
- Knowing it is not all about you. Sow into other people that have similiar interests that you have. For example, if you are a photographer and building your brand, do pictures for upcoming models or families that can’t afford pictures. Or join in a nature walk with other photographers. It builds your portfolio, your community, and your reach. You don’t need to invest all your time in these ways, but when you have hit the wall, serving others sparks greatness! I have seen it many times in my own life.
- Be okay with the uncomfortable. When you are stretching into new territory, it can be uncomfortable. Growing in our dreams and visions is not easy. Sometimes it takes commitment when we have yet to see anything come out of our hard work. You may need to knock on doors that you would rather just sit by quietly, hoping and praying they will open. Again, you may get rejected. Nobody said reaching your dreams would be comfortable. We often want to see ourselves where others are, but don’t think about all the work, effort, and stretching of themselves that it took for them to get there.
- Don’t compare yourself to anyone else’s journey. I was horrible at comparing where I was at in my process compared to other people. This is a dream killer! I am not called to walk the same road as another. I am not called to have the same dream as another. My journey will be different. The minute we can be okay with that, we gain freedom.
- Ask for help. If you are in a place of no motivation, insecurity, lack of skills or any other walls in your way ask someone to be a mentor. You may have better success for a yes when you ask, if you offer to trade work, time, or payment for a mentor’s efforts. Keep in mind also, that you will have the opportunity to one day be a mentor in the same capacity that is poured out to you.
- Get to it! It is so easy to sit and think, think think. But if you don’t take action, that is all it will become, just thinking. Vision without action is only daydreaming. You need to move forward if you want to reach the dream implanted in your soul.
I ask you to look at all the hopes, dreams, and visions, that you have let die. Not to condemn but to say, “do you want to let another dream pass you by?”
10 years from now, do you want to be where you are at right now? How many people missed the spark, because you didn’t let yourself shine?
If you are living the dream I am so happy for you. But if you have dreams yet fulfilled, there is no time, like this time.
2 Replies to “10 Steps to Reach Your Dream In the Midst of ‘Eh’”
That is very good. My heart feels broken 😞 but trying to continue grabbing Gods hands & leadership in my life. Losing my three grandchildren then my son. Then lost my other granddaughter at 17 , in my spirit I know God is in control, been trying to grab ahold tighter. Yes I have been fighting a deep pain like never before. Thank you for your words of encouragement I will continue to press through. Love your advice & your heart to love others. Thank you I mean that deeply from my heart too yours. Opened up a lot in my life. Gods Blessings
You amaze me with your perserverence and faithfulness to the father. To struggle is human but to lean into HIM is such a gift 🙂 Prayers for you all in the midst of grief and healing. If you ever want to share on Time To SHINE, how the Lord has walked you through this pain, I am here. Others may need your beauty from the ashes. (when you are ready)
Hugs and Loves